Saturday, April 14, 2012

Michael "Flathead" Blanchard

Not many people live their lives as they choose. It seems this unusual character did exactly that.
Blanchard, Michael "Flathead" 1944 ~ 2012

A Celebration of the life of Michael "Flathead" Blanchard will be held on April 14th, 3 pm 8160 Rosemary St, Commerce City. Weary of reading obituaries noting someone's courageous battle with death, Mike wanted it known that he died as a result of being stubborn, refusing to follow doctors' orders and raising hell for more than six decades. He enjoyed booze, guns, cars and younger women until the day he died.

Mike was born July 1944 in Colorado to Clyde and Ethel Blanchard. A community activist, he is noted for saving the Dr. Justina Ford house from demolition and defending those who could not defend themselves. He was a Republican delegate, life member of the NRA, founder and President of the Dead Cats MC. He loved music.

Mike was preceded in death by Clyde and Ethel Blanchard, survived by his beloved sons Mike and Chopper, former wife Jane Transue, brother Stephen Blanchard (Susan), Uncle Don and Aunt Cynthia Blanchard(his favorite); Uncle Dill and Aunt Dot, cousins and nephews, Baba Yaga can kiss his butt. So many of his childhood friends that weren't killed in Vietnam went on to become criminals, prostitutes and/or Democrats. He asks that you stop by and re-tell the stories he can no longer tell. As the Celebration will contain Adult material we respectfully ask that no children under 18 attend.

Published in Denver Post on April 12, 2012
The Daily Caller has more on the life and times of Flathead Blanchard.
Collecting stories from Flathead’s life, however, initially presented a small problem. “I’m not sure of the statute of limitations,” one of his friends said. After assuring them we’d protect our sources, the stories flowed like whiskey.
“We had friends who joined these ‘outlaw’ motorcycle clubs. We decided we’d have our own. We called it the ‘Dead Cats MC,’” said one of the attendees who had been worried about misdeeds recent enough to prosecute.
“There were three rules. First, you don’t have to own a motorcycle to be a member, but you have to want to own a motorcycle. Second, there are no rules. And third, prospects must bring a petrified dead animal to join.”
“Amazingly,” he told The Daily Caller, “people believed us.”
One of the first dead animals was a petrified cat they named “Oatmeal.” It became the club mascot and traveled with them all over the United States and Mexico. Oatmeal notwithstanding, Blanchard insisted his own cat Chopper be included in his obituary as one of his sons.
Blanchard’s friends called him “Flathead” because of his love for and devotion to Depression-era Fords. Blanchard spent countless hours searching for old Ford dealerships to look for parts.
Many knew him, many more will miss him.
April 14, 2012 Mike....I never got a chance to know you but I'm doing the best I can to follow in your footsteps. God Bless You. Stephen ~ Stephen McLamb, Guntersville, Alabama
April 14, 2012 Godspeed, Michael. ~ Genie Smith, Muscadine, Alabama
April 14, 2012 There's a country song, "prop me up beside the juke box", reminds me of this guy. RIP, glad you had a good one sir, burning your candle at both ends seems pretty darn fun. ~ Kim Estacio, Honolulu, Hawaii
April 14, 2012 Ride on Flathead, Ride on brother! ~ Reverend Del, Richmond, Virginia
April 14, 2012 We need more people like you Flathead. I'm sure you've touched more people than you'll ever know. I'll pour a shot for ya tonight. ~ S. Conklin, Danville, Illinois
April 14, 2012 To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. You're still around, Flathead, in our hearts. Anna B. in St.Louis
April 14, 2012 Didn't know him, wish I had! I'll be tipping one in your memory tonight, and go out and shoot a few clips tomorrow. God Bless You and RIP ~ Mike, Grand Terrace, California
April 14, 2012 You, Michael "Flathead", were one dude worth knowing. God bless you. Sara ~ Sara L, New Jersey
April 14, 2012 Fair winds & following seas! Sue ~ Sue Craig, Massillon, Ohio
April 14, 2012 I can only pray that my children would write something similar for myself when I take that final step...... It would have been a pleasure to know you as I'm sure many will say and thanks for standing on my wall....God Bless You Brother.... OooRah !! ~ Teresa Forte, Pensacola, Florida
April 14, 2012 There is no question that the world is a poorer place without Flathead. Keep them straight in Heaven, Flathead! --EES, Keller, Texas ~ Ernie Shaffer, Keller, Texas
April 14, 2012 "No thing that ever flew ....dies as others do" I'll look to make your acquaintance in the next life Brother! ~ Mad Max Prez MaxairEngineering.com MC products, Longmont, Colorado
April 14, 2012 Michael, you have touched more people than you could have ever dreamed of. May you rest in peace and I hope to be worthy of meeting you in the future. ~ Kirk Lindberg, Shakopee, Minnesota
April 14, 2012 To his children: Mike and Chopper. Please keep the memory of your father alive by following in his footsteps . Do what is right . Tell the truth. Live your life to the fullest. Good luck to you ~ N Moore, Liberty Township, Ohio
April 14, 2012 I'll be raising a toast to Flathead tonight, may he rock in peace! ~ Vern Black, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
April 14, 2012 A tenacity to living isn't being stubborn! Carpe Diem. We'll be toasting "Flathead" at the bar tonight. ~ Rick, St Cloud, Minnesota
April 14, 2012 Ride on Flathead. Peace to you. ~ John Bellmore, DeBary, Florida
April 14, 2012 Wow, thank you to his family for sharing his story. I am not going to worry anymore and just be myself... ~ Robbin Trabucco, Thornton, Colorado
April 14, 2012 Sorry we didn't have a chance to meet. I would have liked to thank you for your service to our country, ~ Kat Strott, Deerfield Beach, Florida
April 14, 2012 Rock on! ~ Robert Janke, Chicago, Illinois
April 14, 2012 Outrageously wonderful! Nancy in San Diego
April 14, 2012 "Happy Trails!" ~ Joe Huels, Pilot Mountain, North Carolina
April 14, 2012 I have no idea who this is, but that's a great obituary. I bet this guy was a character. ~ Andrew Benton, Austin, Texas
April 14, 2012 I did not know "Flathead" either. I wish I had. Thanks for your service and for showing us how to be true to ourselves. I definitely plan to write my own obit, although it will not be as interesting as yours. On behalf of my father-in-law who made his transition last August, "Semper Fi" ~ ~ Jan, Gainesville, Florida
April 14, 2012 I didn't know Mr. Blanchard, but I wish I had. He sounds like he was a heck of a guy! ~ John Morrison, Midland, Texas
April 14, 2012 Condolences from the New Hegelians MC - Canada. Flatheads forever! ~ Snake NHMC, Toronto, Ontario
April 14, 2012 I didn't know Flathead, but I wish I had!
April 14, 2012 I wish I knew this guy! He sounds awesome!!! ~ Ashley, Kentucky
April 14, 2012 Ramblin Rover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxZNlYXJgM ~ Tom Kratman, Blacksburg, Virginia
April 14, 2012 Well said about a life well lived ~ Alicia, Boulder, Colorado
April 14, 2012 RIP Flathead. You had the courage to live your life the way you wanted. I'm sure you will join friends Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash in Heaven. I'm not sure they were Republicans though. ~ GW, Denver, Colorado
April 14, 2012 ~ Bobbi Queen, Glen Burnie, Maryland
April 14, 2012 Wow, I sure hope Flathead finds my stepfather Lou in heaven. It sounds like they could be pals for sure. I'm so sorry for your family's loss, but thank you for a happy reminder of my family's very own "Flathead". I would offer a "rest in peace", but I have feeling that wherever he is now, that it's a whole lot rowdier today! ~ K. D., Denver, Colorado
April 14, 2012 Outstanding! I hope that when it's my time, they can say all that about me. God Bless you, Flathead. ~ Bikesand Guns, Pompano Beach, Florida
April 14, 2012 God bless you, Flathead. Memories of you continue to generate smiles all across the nation. Your impact is suttle but very deep. Every man wants to selfactualize but its rare that any man tries it. It remains just a theory to most of us because to live it is a risky process. Well done. ~ Scott Douglas, Nashville, Tennessee
April 14, 2012 Thank you so much for a great laugh, and for providing such a great model for MY obituary - although I am no doubt not nearly as colorful or interesting. ~ Strife, Lexington, Kentucky
April 14, 2012 Keep 'em Flying Flathead!! ~ Fellow Biker, Pennsylvania
April 14, 2012 A raised glass to Flathead from SC ~ Spartanburg, South Carolina
April 14, 2012 I didn't know him but he must have been a hellava guy! Well Done Mike, Well Done!! ~ Red, Huntsville, Alabama
April 14, 2012 I didn't know him but he must have been a hellava guy! Well Done Mike, Well Done!! ~ Red
April 14, 2012 reading this, i really wish i had known this guy. he sounds like he was fun and full of spitfire! ~ random redditor, New York
April 14, 2012 I love those who realize that being politically incorrect is far better for the soul then those who try to please everyone even to the last minute. You are my HERO. I shall follow your lead. Well said. Kudos to your survivors. ~ Jimmy Sauerbroten, Georgetown, Texas
April 14, 2012 Rest in Peace. This obit brightened my day and made me laugh. ~ William Stroock, Bridgewater, New Jersey
April 14, 2012 Sounds like Mike was a real character! I wish I could have known him. I'll ask my Dad to have a couple beers and shoot the breeze with him in Heaven. Rest in peace, Mike! ~ Mary Bernhagen, Omaha, Nebraska
April 14, 2012 Rock the void brother. Tell Hunter Thompson we miss him. ~ Robert, Denver, Colorado
April 14, 2012 Bon voyage. Sound like you were alot of fun to be around. Who is this Baba Yaga? RIP.
April 14, 2012 My mom's dad was a Blanchard, born in Waco, TX. I feel like we have some of the same blood passing through our veins. ~ U. S. Grant, LtCol. USMC (ret.), Georgetown, Texas
April 14, 2012 Flathead was a great guy ! We will miss you . Rtucker ( Fitchburg Ma) ~ Randy Tucker, Fitchburg, Massachusetts
April 14, 2012 I knew of Mike years ago through my Father Louis Lukasik. What brought them together to be friends were those old Fords and Motorcycles. Although they were 30 years apart in years I remember Mike coming over working in the garage and drinking beers with my Dad. Mike's Obituary was one that will go down in Viral History and if Dad could have been here to read it he would have a smile on his face followed by laughter. R.I.P Flathead! ~ Rose Lukasik-Miller, Arvada, Colorado
April 14, 2012 Give 'em hell, Flathead. Don't mince your words! ~ Jay Pia, Hoover, Alabama
April 14, 2012 God bless Michael! America is poorer for your passing. Really sad to lose troopers like you! ~ Paul Klacko, St. Charles, Illinois
April 14, 2012 Did not know Michael. Would have loved him. He would have been of my philosophy "Run till it's dark" Mike Burns Charlottesville VA
April 14, 2012 Wanna join my football team? Mark Dantonio ~ mark dantonio, east lansing, Michigan
April 14, 2012 Rock on into eternity, Dude! Didn't know you, but I'll be sure to look you up on that day when I follow you to the Spirit in the Sky!!! Charlie Malone ~ Charlie Malone, Padre Island, Texas
April 14, 2012 I knew Flathead through my Dad (Louie) My dad was 30 years older that Flathead but they came to know each other because of there interest in old fords and old harleys.They would visit each other often when Flathead lived in Arvada.I am so glad that our family got to know him and enjoy his company.Lost touch with him after he moved but will never forget him.Was sad to hear of his departure from planet earth but I know he died with his boots on."BUBBA-Arvada,Co."
April 14, 2012 It would have been a pleasure to know Flathead. I respect people who live on their own terms, and it seems he died the same way. Keep kickin' wherever you're at Flathead. ~ flop 12, Chillicothe, Ohio
April 14, 2012 Flathead, You are "the man" A reader in Massachusetts
April 14, 2012 To Michael's family: I'm sorry for your loss, and wish I could have had the chance to meet him. He seemed like the kind of fellow that I would have enjoyed as a neighbor or a friend. ~ Tom, Findlay, Ohio
April 14, 2012 Way to go, Michael. As a contemporary, you light my way out. Thanks. ~ Jose Jordan, Prairieville, Louisiana
April 14, 2012 You lived "your " life as we should all have the courage to do! Would have liked to have went to a party with you, maybe in heaven someday! ~ D Boob, Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
April 14, 2012 Stephen, Mike,and Chopper; Wow, my kinda guy. We would have been friends. Stand up, look you right in the eyes and shoot right from the hip. No guess work, you would know where you stood with him. Carry on men, and when you hesitate, think about what your brother/pop would have done,and I believe you will be ok. This country could use alot more men like him. My condolences and prayers for all of you. God Bless ~ Henry Evans, Greenwood, Louisiana
April 14, 2012 Have a great ride in the sky my friend!!! ~ Shaker, Lombard, Illinois
April 14, 2012 God Bless the Blanchard family. Great to see Flathead's last wishes were honored and this wonderful man will be celebrated the way he wanted it. ~ rita finkelstein, Yardley, Pennsylvania
April 14, 2012 ~ Sharon, Oneida, New York
April 14, 2012 Flathead you are a star! Just look at all these entries from complete strangers. I cannot imagine how many lives you touched when you were alive. You apparently believed you should just be as you are; no pretending. I am going to take a little bit of that lesson. Thanks. ~ Tammy, U.S. Virgin Islands
April 14, 2012 I lost a friend just like you so I feel that I know you. Rest in peace ~ Chuck Hufstetler, Rome, Georgia
April 14, 2012 Living life to the fullest and on your own terms! Well done Flathead! ~ S Knauss, Duluth, Minnesota
April 14, 2012 Incredibly stated! That's how you keep it real. God Bless... ~ Mrs. Panhead, Cheshire, Connecticut
April 14, 2012 Down rite an individual I like. He loved and lived his life the way he wanted. Congrats!!!
April 14, 2012 You have won the war Sir. ~ Eric Moore, Charlotte, North Carolina
April 14, 2012 ~ joe, Alabama
April 14, 2012 Way to tell it like it is. Flathead could have been my own beloved Bro .Peace out ~ dna53, Saginaw, Michigan
April 14, 2012 Godspeed Flathead. You sound like a guy I would have enjoyed knowing. Hope they have Cohibas on the other side. ~ Steve B, Arvada, Colorado
April 14, 2012 I love a person who walks their own path, and tells it like it is. Honesty is so hard to find these days. An obituary is supposed to tell about the life of the person who passed. This one painted a picture of a life lived, enjoyed, and completed as he had chosen to do. Could we all be this honest? ~ Mary Sprowle, Pagosa Springs, Colorado
April 14, 2012 Flathead I wish I could have meet you!!!!!!!!!!!! ~ Brenda Caddell, Edgefield, South Carolina
April 14, 2012 Sounds like you made the most of each day and lived life to the fullest! I wish that I were going to be in the area so I could stop by, instead I will raise a glass in your honor. I salute you Flathead for showing us all "how it's done." ~ Pam Chaney, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
April 14, 2012 I knew Flathead since the early 80s. He'd crash at my place every now and then. He was one eccentric individual. I hope you're hanging out with Steve McQueen, now--slammin' down a few (or more), checking out the old cars and bikes at the boneyard. Try not to blow anything up. See you soon, brother. ~ Grizz
April 14, 2012 To Flathead family he sounded like a kindering spirit that prehaps crossed my path... God bless his soul and confort you in your extreme loss for i know the old cuss will be missed by one and all...I look forward to the "tall tails of Mike" please publish the world needs to know! ~ louise falker mogendi, nairobi kenya
April 14, 2012 I wish I'd a known you Flathead. R.I.P. ~ Chuck Jensen, Framingham, Massachusetts
April 14, 2012 Sounds like a guy that I now wish I had known. ~ Allen Hill, Canton, Georgia
April 14, 2012 I remember your 'Nam Rob, Atlanta
April 14, 2012 I wanna go with the same Celebration of LIFE, not the sorrow of death! It is a fact of life ... "Cheers, brother!" ~ A.M. "Bones" Jones, Kabul
April 14, 2012 "Flathead" you must have been one of our missing Brothers! I'm sure you are in good company now. RIP Bro. We hope to meet you later. ~ Bernie Cross, Marinsburg, West Virginia
April 14, 2012 Greatest Obit EVER. Semper Fi Flathead. ~ Del S, Ft. Wayne, Indiana
April 14, 2012 Michael, wow. I send you sweetness in your next journey. Your humor and touch on life has made me re think mine. Your word in your own obit were humorous and obviously a reflection of you. Smiles to your family and prayers. Tho I feel you know they are smiling because of you. God Bless and thank you for your individuality. We should all write our own. God Speed. :-) ~ christina Phelan, Worcester, Massachusetts
April 14, 2012 Wish I knew you "Flathead". You should have been a WEASEL... keep the shiney side up wherever you end up! ~ Bitse P00km, Northglenn, Colorado
April 14, 2012 Flathead you're the bestest! I just finished my "5 Wishes" class and we had to write our obits...glad you wrote yours! Wish I knew who Baba Yaga is/was, but I got a truckload of Baba's who can kiss my butt too...you all know who you are. The best thing a person can do is to write their own obit and have a chuckle doing it, as we chuckle now. To Flathead's family and friends I am sorry for your loss, but in the end we all gained from him. God Bless. ~ Kathleen Kelly Moss, Seattle area, Washington
April 14, 2012 ~ sara, ny
April 14, 2012 Rest In Peace "Flathead"...I would have loved to have known you-even though I'm a Democrat.You must have been a wonderful "grounded " guy. Kenni Truitt Ventura,Ca. ~ Kenni Truitt, Ventura, California
April 14, 2012 Flathead, although I didn't know you, after reading your obit, I realized I'd be a better person having known you. Godspeed my friend. ~ Rob, Brooklyn, New York
April 14, 2012 While I did not know Mr. Blanchard, after reading the Obituary I regret not meeting him personally. I've been known to engage is similar behavior. In fact it was my X-wife who emailed me the obituary to point out the cause of his untimely death. Paul in Littleton
April 14, 2012 RIP Flathead you are now a Dead Dead Cat. ~ Jim Nugent, North Grafton, Massachusetts
April 14, 2012 Awesome Obit! Sounded like a straight shooter! RIP ~ Michelle mann, New York
April 13, 2012 Never met the man, but truly wish I had. What a wonderful, honest tribute. RIP Flathead! Ride on, brother. ~ Holly Sellers, Charleston, South Carolina
April 13, 2012 My kind of man, Steve Louisville Ky ~
April 13, 2012 RIP Flathead.. You are mine kind of guy.. Thank you Denver Post for publishing all of this!! ~ Linda Houle, Buena Vista, Colorado
April 13, 2012 Happy trails, Flathead. RIP Janet in Iowa ~ janet luna, north liberty, Iowa
April 13, 2012 Ride On Flathead ~ Doc & Kim Kester, Green Bay, Wisconsin
April 13, 2012 How wonderful that his family respected his wishes realizing that Flathead's celebration of life is not about them, but rather, him! Kudos and wishing you all peace. I hope the wonderful memories serve you well in your time of grief. <3 ~ Kelly, Noblesville, Indiana
April 13, 2012 Rest in peace Flathead. I wish I could have known you as you sound like you were a fun guy to know! Enjoy the afterlife! ~ Monika Acquaviva, Selden, New York
April 13, 2012 You must havwe had many friends Flathead!! RIP ~ Darlene Hess, Nashville, Tennessee
April 13, 2012 He must have been Irish ! Flathead, may the devil find out you're in heaven a half hour after your dead. ~ Jeff, Cleveland, Ohio
April 13, 2012 R.I.P Flathead... And much Respect to your family for granting your wish and post what you asked!! And as for Baba Yaga,, lol,, you must have really pissed him off!!! ~ Margie Ramirez, Allentown, Pennsylvania
April 13, 2012 RIP Flathead. Wish I could have known you. Continue doing all the things that you enjoyed doing here in heaven. ~ Chuck, Connecticut
April 13, 2012 If we all lived that crazy, well spirited life this world would probably be a better place. RIP Flathead!! ~ Linda Garabedian, NF, New York
April 13, 2012 Makes me want to go to Denver to hear all about 'flathead' RIP. ~ Cassi Butters, Muskegon, Michigan
April 13, 2012 Nothing more beautiful than a man who can continue to live through family and friends, go get em' on the other side Mr. Blanchard! ~ Joey Cox, Lawrenceville, Georgia
April 13, 2012 He sounded like he wouldve been a BLAST to know and I want to say this is the BEST obit Ive ever read love the total Honesty!!!! My father passed in 79' he was only 26 and we played Free Bird & Turn the Page...my mom and the preacher argued about the music ..wasnt "proper" yes it was for him and his lifestyle..so my hats off to you for keeping it real..And most of all my heart & prayers go out to his family & friends for the loss of their loved one!! ~ Jamie Hahn, Kentucky
April 13, 2012 Although his memories will give us joy forever, the absence of a guy like him will make you feel sorrow in the real sense of the word. He will leave a void in every place he was and in every life he touched. RIP Flathead !!!
April 13, 2012 I hope there is 'standing room only' at Flathead's service!! Michael and I are the same age--he's gone on and I'm blessed to rock on. I have a 13 year old daughter--I have no plans of an early demise, but our end is NOT in our hands...I'm blessed to have outlived a number of dear friends--I would like to think that like Michael, I have lived life to the fullest surrounded by great friends--and having grown up--like Michael--in a wonderful era--the 50's-60's--great music, great movies, great classmates, great parents and family who gave me unconditional love. Plus, I was fortunate enough to be born in the greatest country on the face of the earth--during an era the USA was the most respected--and most feared--country in the world. Sadly, there are those among us who feel our best days are behind us. They would prefer to re-invent our great country to suit their personal agenda. Michael, in the fun approach to life he obviously cherished--labels those folks criminals, prostitures and/or Democrats. Way to go, Michael! ~ Fred Vail, Nashville, Tennessee
April 13, 2012 Prost Flathead Flow River Flow :-) ~ CRIO, Louisiana
April 13, 2012 While I think we'd have been inclined to disagreement if politics ever came up, that wouldn't matter when we just said to hell with it and went off to have a couple beers and shoot some guns. ~ Andrew C, Utah
April 13, 2012 RIP Flathead! You sound JUST like my late grandfather! His name is Bud. Lord help if you find him....yall will drive the angels nuts! Thank you for your service, and a life well lived :) Blessings and peace to your sons. Sounds like yall had one hell of a dad! ~ Tanya, Florida
April 13, 2012 Way to go, guy! Damn good way to go! I just can't quit smiling. Thank you for that! Rock on...... ~ Nancy S., Youngsville, North Carolina
April 13, 2012 Rest in peace "Flathead", I didn't know you existed until I read your obit, but I wish I had known you. Now go catch up with all your friends. ~ Grant Willnow, Lancaster, New York
April 13, 2012 Flathead - never knew you and sad that I didn't. We'd a been buddies. An Old Marine
April 13, 2012 I can't even imagine how many people you must have touched in your life. Then now the thousands of people you will make laugh. Mike you did figure life out didn't you? Say hi to my Dad and grandmother. Christine and Bill Shipman. ~ T Shipman, Charlottesville, Virginia
April 13, 2012 wish id have met u flathead rest now....bjd(PA) ~ bev dull, duncannon, Pennsylvania
April 13, 2012 He lived the Life I would have wanted too, but I didn't for lack of his courage! RIP Flathead.
April 13, 2012 Raising a toast to the gentleman! Never met him, never heard of him before.....but I think this earth is poorer in having one fewer guy like him. ~ G A, Columbia, South Carolina
April 13, 2012 Wow!! what an awesome kinda guy...I woulda been proud to say I knew you, but unfortunately not in this lifetime..I hope Ill have the pleasure on the other side. Kudos to those who made sure to follow his wishes for his send off celebration! My hats off to you "Flathead" for sticking to your guns and being a straight shooter!You were truly a man that was true to himself! Not many people can say he died the way he lived! True to form...If only more people could be as "REAL" as you- Enjoy the ride home! ~ Keala P., Kaneohe, Hawaii
April 13, 2012 I only wish that I was in Denver. This sounds like a guy worth knowing. Have a pleasant journey, sir. ~ Jim Smyers, Beaverdam, Virginia
April 13, 2012 Best obituary ever. Didn't know Mike, but the old Irish saying surely has to appy to him. May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows your dead. ~ Lisa O, Garfield, New Jersey
April 13, 2012 He sounds like he was a great guy and lived life to the fullest. I wish I would have known him. ~ Mary Rundquist, Fort Collins, Colorado
April 13, 2012 That is the way to go.......RIP party on flathead ~ tina, massillon, Ohio
April 13, 2012 I would have loved to have known Flathead. He must have been a fun guy to be around. Sounds like my kind of people! And to the family....I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure he will be missed. ~ Lisa, South Carolina
April 13, 2012 Flathead.. You must have been a great guy.. RIP May you meet all your friends in the hereafter ~ J Smith, Amityville, New York
April 13, 2012 "Flathead, RiP my man u put a smile on my stressed out face today, can't thank u enough!" ~ Chuck Skinner, Wesley Chapel, North Carolina
April 13, 2012 Bravo for being yourself throughout your life!!
April 13, 2012 I would have loved to have met Flathead! Thank you for your service and thank you to his family for sharing this obit - he has reminded me to take the time to smell the roses and don't sweat the small stuff! RIP and GOD BLESS ~ JW Gill, Orlando, Florida
April 13, 2012 Congratulations, what else can I say,you has shown us how honest and clear you have been through out your life. ~ Juan GOYA, Lima PERU, Florida
April 13, 2012 I had to take a minute to laugh and cry, never knowing Mike Blanchard but knowing him as he is the guy that all men were when I was a kid. He makes me miss the days when a man came home from work, grabbed a beer, and tooled around on his car or bike with friends. Mr. Blanchard was what was once called an all American guy. ~ The Hortons, North Carolina
April 13, 2012 Sounds to me like a man that truely lived, not a man that was merely alive. Have fun where ever they place you, I hope the destination is as good as the ride. ~ Thomas S., W. Wyoming, Pennsylvania
April 13, 2012 In this politically correct world full of phonies and frauds I am thankful for people like Flathead who keep it real. Enjoy the ride my brother. ~ Paul P, New Jersey
April 13, 2012 One of a kind,you are totally amazing... Rest in peace Mike God Bless. ~ Darlene Rivera, Sacramento, California
April 13, 2012 Sounds like my kind of guy! Rock on Flathead! ~ Roxanne Rica, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
April 13, 2012 Mike, we need more like you in this world. RIP my friend. ~ Linda Cross, Waukesha, Wisconsin
April 13, 2012 I wish I had met him, being a procrastinator member. ~ Ceri Moller, Mountain View, California
April 13, 2012 Way to go, Flathead..literally! ~ Sue Buchta, Kansas
April 13, 2012 It's only the beginning Flathead. God bless and keep giving them hell! ~ J Travis, WillGro, Pennsylvania
April 13, 2012 The angels and saints must be getting a chuckle when this man entered the Kingdom of Heaven! Mr. "Flathead" made me laugh today. Thanks go to his family for publishing this obit! ~ Linda, Orchard Park, New York
April 13, 2012 This is original. I'm going to write my own obit, too, so that my life doesn't sound "stale" in print. Thank you Michael for being a true human in life and continuing that humanness in death. I wish I had known you personally to be able to call you friend. God bless! ~ Grammy Red, Fredericksburg, Virginia
April 13, 2012 Flathead, I hope you continue your hobbies Forever more, RIP ~ Mark Novaky, Jersey City, New Jersey
April 13, 2012 Your body may be in Colorado, but your soul is riding Milwaukee Iron. RIP Flathead, and condolences to your sons and the rest of your family. ~ Steve LaDue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
April 13, 2012 Ride on Flathead, ride on. Continue to take no prisoners and ride my hometown Iron. Wish we had met! ~ Stephen LaDue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
April 13, 2012 Sorry I didn't know ya, Flathead. You sound like a great and unique guy! ~ L Thompson, Mississippi
April 13, 2012 Congratulations to Mr. Blanchard for doing it his way and having a great ride. My sympathies to Mr. Blanchard's family, colleagues and friends. I am sure that he will be missed.
April 13, 2012 My condolences to the family. I wish I could've met Flathead. Sounds like a helluva guy. ~ Dave Mason, Soldotna, Alaska
April 13, 2012 Congratulations to Mr. Blanchard for doing it his way and having a great ride. My sympathies to Mr. Blanchard's family, colleagues and friends. I am sure that he will be missed. ~ L. Tobias, Maryland
April 13, 2012 This is the very best obituary that I have ever seen. ~ Doug Hansen, Weidman, Michigan
April 13, 2012 i feel exactly the same way i wish i could have met you down here see ya up there soon ~ billy collins, union city, New Jersey
April 13, 2012 I never knew flathead but DAMN I wish I did, solid man to go out with a bang and was not afraid to admit his sins. This is what the country needs more of, what a breath of fresh air!!!! RIP!!! ~ Hinesy, Denver, Colorado
April 13, 2012 Sounds like my kind of guy! I'm a younger woman he would have loved, ha! Rest in Peace "Flathead" :)
April 13, 2012 Rest in Peace Mr. Flathead from a staunch Democrat with a lot of respect for your life! ~ Kathy E., Gulfport, Mississippi
April 13, 2012 He sure sounds like one of a kind :) ~ Lex Patterson, Slaton, Texas
April 13, 2012 I wish I had known him too! ~ Tera Skoog, Colorado
April 13, 2012 Michael, you obviously will be missed by many! Have a fabulous journey, my friend. ~ EJ Borge, Providence, Rhode Island
April 13, 2012 I've been writing obits for many decades and this one is simply amazing. RIP Flathead, knowing that your life is well described. ~ J W, Carmel, California
April 13, 2012 i too have never had the chance to met michael , but i would have love to have known him.! full of life, and funny guy, and good friends, a cool flathead. maybe i will meet you someday upstairs ,until then rip
April 13, 2012 Mike was the last of those hearty Americans that obviously lived life his way with no regrets. Love his obit. Baba Yaga can kiss our butts as well. He may have crossed over, but we gotta feeling he's making his presence known already! R.I.P. Mike. Howard & Lynda in NC ~ Lynda Schultz, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
April 13, 2012 Rock on, Flathead!
April 13, 2012 I didn't know Flathead, but I wish I had. RIP ~ Harry, Rapid City, South Dakota
April 13, 2012 May "Flathead" Rest In Peace. I wish I could have known him! ~ Dan Kemetick, Oak Forest, Illinois
April 13, 2012 Sounds like he lived his life his way, and enjoyed every minute of it. RIP Larry ( South Carolina)
April 13, 2012 Die with the same passion which you lived. Well done, "Flathead"! ~ Greg H, Cincinnati, Ohio
April 13, 2012 Mike and Chopper - Wishes of peace sent your way from a Jersey Girl who has always admired a person like your Dad! Celebrate his life - like he lived it - with sincere passion. Best, T. ~ A Jersey Girl, Princeton, New Jersey
April 13, 2012 We are what we are..Go in Peace Mike, A honest guy who knew just who he was, and sounded proud of it. Wish more of us were.God Bless ~ Dana Kallio, Westhampton, New York
April 13, 2012 The world is more dimly lit place without you Flathead. May the next Flathead read your obit and realize his true potential for awesomeness!!! ~ Don Shewmake, Oak Park, Illinois
April 13, 2012 A man with few regrets is a rich man even in death...RIP my friend. ~ Krooser, Waupaca, Wisconsin
April 13, 2012 Thank you for your service to our country. It would have been a distinct pleasure to have met you. I expect that one day I'll get my wish. God bless you! ~ Jim Grunewald, Raleigh
April 13, 2012 You enjoyed younger women? Hell yea! ~ Bobby Petrino
April 13, 2012 I think I would have liked you Mike. RIP ~ Stephen Dabney, middletown, New Jersey
April 13, 2012 I never met Mr. Blanchard, but I salute him for having the backbone to call his own shots and live life his way. Condolences to his friends and loved ones.
April 13, 2012 Best Obit ever. RIP Flathead ~ Tan Fan, Michigan
April 13, 2012 I hope he was as fun in life as his obit portrays. I'm sure his sons rejoice in his life and will have many happy memories of his neat spirit. ~ Duse Javkson
April 13, 2012 I didn't know him, but I wish I did. We should all endeavor to live and die like he did - on our terms. Rest in peace! ~ Melanie Burney, Philadelphia
April 13, 2012 He may not have been perfect in life, but he left a perfect obit! God Bless him and make him a happy home! ~ Karen Price, Woodbine, Georgia
April 13, 2012 I am a Blanchard too...i didnt know this guy but wish i had! Sounds like a pretty cool cat. RIP ~ Lou Blanchard, Los Angeles, California
April 13, 2012 I never met him, but I really wish I had. RIP, Flathead. ~ Penne Pojar, Denver, Colorado
April 13, 2012 RIP - thanks for your service! SEA 1965-1966 USAF ~ Roger Rankin, Firestone
April 13, 2012 I have no idea who this person is, but this is probably the greatest obituary I will ever read. ~ Martin C, Nashua, New Hampshire
April 13, 2012 Congratulations on such a bold obit! I'd like to share this on my blog, The Family Plot: http://TheFamilyPlot.wordpress.com ~ Gail Rubin, Albuquerque, New Mexico
April 13, 2012 A fun guy - may he rest in peace. ~ Phyllis De Cremer, Montrose, Colorado
April 13, 2012 Hurrah! for a life well lived. RIP Rider. ~ Desmodude X, Westminster, Colorado
April 13, 2012 I found the link to here on my Facebook page. I did not know "Flathead", but I hope my obituary can be as awesome as his is. He sounds like he was a hell of a guy, straight to the point and pulling no punches. I wish him a safe journey and wish I could hear some of the stories that will be told...blessings and prayers to all that knew him.....Min in CT
April 13, 2012 The first true obit i have ever read!! God bless your family. Olney Springs, CO
April 12, 2012 Wish I had met him! ~ Devon Malonson, Dillon, Colorado
April 12, 2012 That's the life I want to live! The way one should live til the end! He must have been one great guy to know. ~ Richard, Winston Salem, North Carolina
April 12, 2012 I didn't even know this man, but I wish that I had. It sounds like he was his own man without hurting those around him. He will live on in the stories they will tell and retell. ~ Bonnie, Wellington
April 12, 2012 Wish I had known him! Rest in peace, Mike. ~ Bonnie Webb, Pueblo West, Colorado
April 12, 2012 I never had the privilege of meeting Flathead but he sounds like a hell of lot of fun. RIP
April 12, 2012 Fantastic representation of a true life lived!! I am so happy for his honesty about how it really goes down in life, Republican or not, we all end up in the same place!! Its great when you have your memories to help get you to where your going! I hope you have a great trip on your next journey sir! ML&R ~ Sara Davis, Denver, Colorado
April 12, 2012 Awesome!!! A life well lived. I hope I go out this way. Peace to all who knew him! ~ Cristen, Wheat Ridge, Colorado

No comments: