Friday, November 25, 2011

UC Davis Protester Admits to Purposely Provoking Confrontation

Elli Pearson, University of California, Davis sophomore studying sustainable agriculture/food systems and one of the protesters pepper sprayed by UCD Campus Police, came clean to "Democracy Now!" According to The Right Scoop, Pearson essentially said the student action blocking the retreat of the police was intentional and purposeful. As pointed out in a previous post, "The function of a civil resistance is to provoke response and we will continue to provoke..."


trscoop1 You Tube
Well we were protesting together and the riot cops came at us and we linked arms and sat down peacefully to protest their presence on our campus. And then at one point they were – we had encircled them and they were trying to leave and they were trying to clear a path. And so we sat down, linked arms and said that if they wanted to clear the path they would have to go through us. But we were on the ground, you know, heads down and all I could see was people telling me to cover my head, protect myself and put my head down. And the next thing I know we were pepper-sprayed.
Amy Goodman, the Democracy Now! talking head, asked Pearson,
Did the police say, "We’re about to pepper-spray you"?
In answer, Elli Pearson lied and contradicted the very tape Democracy Now! opened the segment with that clearly shows the police in front of the sit-downers, while tape in my previous post show police in front and behind the sit-downer line and that protesters were warned many times from the time police arrived on The Quad to moments before the spraying; if any student was not aware of the warnings, it was because they were shouting over the police so as not to hear and later claim police gave no warning. It's an old tactic akin to sticking fingers in your ears and loudly intoning, 'la-la-la-la-la-I can't hear you!'
I believe they told maybe one student, or like had some dialogue, but certainly not everyone could hear. It wasn’t like an announcement that was made. And we weren’t aware that we were going to be—I wasn’t aware I was going to be pepper-sprayed until people told me to protect myself. And then I have friends who were pepper-sprayed who said they did not know that that was happening and that that was coming. And we were actually expected—we were expecting to be shot in the back with something, because they were behind us. And we really had no idea what was going to happen.
Because I am nothing if not fair, the entire Democracy Now! interview and transcript can be seen and read here. I would point out that in the Democracy Now! blurb explaining the story just after the video, most probably the only part of the story most folks will read, makes absolutely no mention of Pearson admitting they had surrounded the police, nor saying the cops would have to go through the protesters to get out.
h/t Althouse


The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the response will be from that little troll I was sparring with a couple threads back will be. Don

Indigo Red said...

Well, Don, I don't know what that little troll would say, but it seems my original post is causing alot of anti-cop/pro-demonstrator types to rethink their position. I've been getting a lot of hits from discussion boards and news outlet comment sections from around the country, are referencing the videos and penal codes I pointed out. Most surprisingly are the San Francisco Chronicle and Huffington Post. Seems many of the pro-demons are grudgingly changing their minds just as did with the NY reporter who claimed he was run over by the scooter-cop - I got a lot of traffic with that story, too.

Long time ago, Don, you said you liked the way I presented the facts fairly while still having an opinion. I took that to heart and it appears that it still works as no one is attacking me in any of the forums and media comment sections. They're seeing "just the facts, ma'am."

Louise said...

EEEWWWUU!! You feature Amy Goodman on your blog??? Indigo, I'm disappointed in you.

Indigo Red said...

Yeah, I know, Louise. But she was the only source for the admission. Stupid people like to brag to other stupd people.