Friday, September 11, 2009

Most Enduring Memory of 9/11

... for me is the silence of this night eight years ago. I live beneath the landing pattern for John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California. In 2001, all aircraft were grounded, except military. Normally, the last plane lands at around 11PM. Eight years ago, nothing. No planes, no traffic, no sounds, nothing.

Until 2:04 AM.

A small plane was in the air and passed over my home. At 2:06 AM, the sound barrier exploded in the sky moments after two military jets slashed the darkness pursuing the fool in the air. Just as quickly, nothing. No planes, no traffic, no sounds, nothing.






The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

3 comments:

Louise said...

One of my memories was of a massive Korean airliner being diverted to a remote airport in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory , population 23,000(next door to Alaska). They were supposed to land in Anchorage and there was a communication mixup that led authorities to believe it had been hijacked and Canada's then Prime Minister, Jean Chretien authorized Norad to shoot it down, if necessary. Luckily, for all on board, the plane was cleared to land and everyone was safe.

Indigo Red said...

I remember that. The passengers were very lucky that day.

AMERICA~LAND OF THE FREE said...

I remember it well. I walked outside that same night. I looked to the sky and nothing as you said.
The quietness was so erie. It was the strangest feeling I have ever had.
I will never forget 9-11. The alarm went off a few minutes before 9:00 that morning. I heard what they were saying on the radio about the first plane. I turned on the TV realy quick and the were showign the first building. Then before my very eyes, there it was the second plane hit the second tower. What a horrible day. The jumpers I saw before they quit showing them was awful as well. So damn sad.
God bless America always. :O)