Sunday, June 28, 2009

TV Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead at Home

Billy Mays, the boisterous and fast-talking TV pitchman, was found dead by his wife this morning. The never dull 50 year old Mays, was best known for such US television commercials as OxyClean, KABOOM!, Big City Sliders, Orange Glo and many more products. He was pronounced dead by Tampa fire rescue crew at 7:45 am after Mays' wife called 911.

Mays was a U.S. Air passenger on a flight that made a rough landing Saturday afternoon at Tampa International Airport, according to TBO.com that left
debris on the runway after apparently blowing its front tires.

Tampa Bay's Fox television affiliate interviewed Mays after the incident.

"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping," MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. "It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."
(...)

Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, told investigators that her husband had complained he didn't feel well before he went to bed some time after 10 p.m. Saturday night, Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.
His son, Billy Mays III (Young Billy Mays), wrote this morn on his Twitter page:

My dad didn't wake up this morning.. I'm sure you'll all hear about it. It hasn't yet hit me but it's about to.
(...)

I'm thankful I got to talk to my dad last night. I miss him immensely already. But I feel him with me.
And asks -

#wearblue4billy - Wear blue tomorrow in memory of Billy- I didn't come up with this but it made me smile and my dad would surely be honored.
Though not as well known as the three more internationally famous stars who also died in the past week - Ed McMahan, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson - Billy Mays had developed a coterie of loyal fans who treated him as a pop-icon.

His ubiquitousness and thumbs-up, in-your-face pitches won Mays plenty of fans. People line up at his personal appearances for autographed color glossies, and strangers stop him in airports to chat about the products.

"I enjoy what I do," Mays told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. "I think it shows."
BYE, BILLY MAYS!!



UPDATE:

From USA Today:

A Florida medical examiner said Monday that an autopsy of television pitchman Billy Mays showed that he suffered no head trauma and that his death appears to be the result of a heart attack during his sleep.

Hillsborough County Medical Examiner Vernard Adams said more tests are needed but Mays had hypertensive heart disease, and "the heart disease is perfectly consistent with sudden death
."






The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

3 comments:

Grant said...

Ed McMahon
Farrah Fawcett
Michael Jackson
Billy Mays

who’s next?

Anonymous said...

Billy's boisterous style was very effective. When he finished a pitch, you couldn't help remembering it.

O/T We finally got another contract Indi. I'll be headed for Calif. Thursday. Don

Indigo Red said...

Grant, I'm sure somebody, somewhere will die. This sorta puts the lie to the rule of three, tho.

That's excellent, Don. Hope it keeps up. The stock market looks to set for another bull run.