Friday, February 06, 2009

Putin Hates ABBA (or so he says publicly)


Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is denying he secretly had Bjorn Again, a not very good ABBA tribute band, spirited to a secret military compound for a private concert. Putin denies the concert took place.

Dmitry Peskov, a Putin spokesman, said, "I can tell you officially and for sure Vladimir Putin never took part in any concert of the kind. He wasn't there."

Right. More likely Putin is trying to hide the fact that he is a closet ABBA fan especially in light of news that President Dmitry Medvedev, Putin's replacement in that office, is a known Deep Purple fan. It's a guy thing.

Vlad, Vlad, Vlad. It's okay to be an ABBA fan or even a Carpenters fan. It okay to be a little bit sensitive, dude. Let's just agree to draw that line in the sand at Donny and Marie, shall we? But, really, now, who doesn't secretly like Dancing Queen?

ABBA has been around for a long very time and has had a long and friendly relationship with Russia. It's nothing to be ashamed of. For example, in this video, ABBA performs for Catherine the Great.






The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

11 comments:

Louise said...

Let's just agree to draw that line in the sand at Donny and Marie, shall we?
================
hehehehe

I like ABBA, too. Dates me a bit. But then I grew up with Bob Dylan and the Beatles, which really dates me.

Indigo Red said...

Wow, Louise! You grew up with Dylan and the Beatles?

I assume, like me, you grew listening to Dylan and the Beatles. I remember that sometimes, albeit rarely, Dylan can carry a tune.

Louise said...

Yup. It's painful listening to Dylan now, but he sure was the poet extraordinaire of my generation. I remember the first time I heard him. I was laying in bed, as teenagers are wont to do, listening to the radio and he came on signing Like a Rolling Stone. Blew me away. I was hooked. Good times. We were a naive bunch, but every generation has their anthems. That was mine.

Louise said...

*singing*

Indigo Red said...

Naive doesn't come close to describing how naive we were.

Louise said...

Reminds me of that old saw "Youth is wasted on the young" which reminds me of another Dylan phrase "But I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now." And he did mellow in his later years didn't he.

Indigo Red said...

Oh, yes he did. He grew into his voice and face. Like Jagger.

Louise said...

Nobody grew into his face like Jagger did. Butt ugly!

Indigo Red said...

OK. You got me there.

Louise said...

Speaking of naive 60s brats.

Indigo Red said...

I have written in these pages that the event that got America and Canada into the war, the Tonkin Gulf Incident, didn't actually happen. There was a brief arms exchange between a N. Vietnamese gunboat and an American destroyer, but the event was blown way out of proportion into a major two day attack on American Naval forces.

Most of what people think they know about the Vietnam war aint't so.