Sunday, November 09, 2008

WW II Navy Vet Laid to Rest Today

Fourteen months after his death, my Father was delivered to his final resting place early this morning. His ashes were committed to the Pacific Ocean depths as he had requested to spend his eternity with the men and women who lost their lives fighting in the Pacific Theater during World War II.

On the deck of the USS Gary for the Naval Burial at Sea ceremony was my nephew, CTT3 Seth D. Buda, USN, who grew up with his Grandfather close at hand to love and guide him. Seth loved his Grandpa very much. These are his words -

Joseph Frank Buda joined his shipmates past at sea on this day November 9th 2008 at 0620.

It was an honor he chose me for this, not because he was my grandfather, but because he was an honest God fearing man that always held strong to his word and was a hero of the highest caliber to this country and his family. This honorable event took place aboard the USS Gary FFG-51 at the latitude longitude of 32.43Nx117.44.9W.

I was in question with myself if someone lives on after death. No longer is this a question to me, for the seas were alive like a herd of wild horses, with about 5 to 7 feet swells. The clouds looked as if God himself had opened the gates to heaven for him. Just as the sun broke the top of the clouds I could feel my grandfather run through me in the form of the chill breeze and the warm sun rays. He had finally made it home.

Fair seas and following winds Shipmate, you will be missed.


CTT3 Seth D. Buda

Buckley AFB Denver, Co 2003-2005
USS McCampbell DDG-85 2005-2007
USS Gary FFG-51 2007-Present
Thank you, Seth. You're a good man, a good Grandson, and I am very proud to be your Uncle.




The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

3 comments:

dcat said...

God bless him and may he rest in peace.

Tom C said...

Ditto that.
Thank Seth for me also.

Mike H. said...

Only one omission, He could have put down your father's dates and ships.

I was on the Dennis J. Buckley DD-808 San Diego. It's now razor blades as are, I'm sure, your father's ships