Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ayers' BFF Obama


Bill Ayers writes that Barack Obama is a "family friend" in a new afterword to his 1981 book, Fugitive Days: Memoirs. The Chicago Sun-Times reports Ayers wrote,
"We had served together on the board of a foundation, knew one another as neighbors and family friends, held an initial fund-raiser at my house, where I’d made a small donation to his earliest political campaign."
That is at odds with how Obama described his relationship with Ayers at the Philidelphia Democrat debate. George Snuffleuppagus asked -

Senator, if you get the nomination, you'll have to -- (applause) -- (inaudible).

I want to give Senator Clinton a chance to respond, but first a follow-up on this issue, the general theme of patriotism in your relationships. A gentleman named William Ayers, he was part of the Weather Underground in the 1970s. They bombed the Pentagon, the Capitol and other buildings. He's never apologized for that. And in fact, on 9/11 he was quoted in The New York Times saying, "I don't regret setting bombs; I feel we didn't do enough."
An early organizing meeting for your state senate campaign was held at his house, and your campaign has said you are friendly. Can you explain that relationship for the voters, and explain to Democrats why it won't be a problem?

SEN. OBAMA: George, but this is an example of what I'm talking about.

This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood, who's a professor of English in Chicago, who I know and who I have not received some official endorsement from. He's not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis.

And the notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago when I was 8 years old, somehow reflects on me and my values, doesn't make much sense, George.


The fact is, is that I'm also friendly with Tom Coburn, one of the most conservative Republicans in the United States Senate, who during his campaign once said that it might be appropriate to apply the death penalty to those who carried out abortions.

Do I need to apologize for Mr. Coburn's statements? Because I certainly don't agree with those either.

So this kind of game, in which anybody who I know, regardless of how flimsy the relationship is, is somehow -- somehow their ideas could be attributed to me -- I think the American people are smarter than that. They're not going to suggest somehow that that is reflective of my views, because it obviously isn't.
Obama doesn't understand that Coburn, unlike Ayers, was never a terrorist who set bombs. It's that moral equivalence thing.

Bill Ayers also disputes his role in the Weather Underground bombings of the Pentagon.

"I killed no one, and I harmed no one, and I didn’t regret for a minute resisting the murderous assault on [Vietnam] with every ounce of my being," Ayers writes.

He denies a quote attributed to him in 2001: "I don’t regret setting bombs. I wish we’d set more bombs. I don’t think we did enough." The quote was widely republished during the presidential campaign.

Ayers writes, "I never actually said that I 'set bombs,' nor that I wished there were 'more bombs.' "
Bill Ayers was not just strolling past the Pentagon May 19, 1972 and, OMG, a bomb went off. Ayers wrote in his memoir,
"Everything was absolutely ideal on the day I bombed the Pentagon. The sky was blue. The birds were singing. And the bastards were finally going to get what was coming to them."

In a New York Times article published September 11, 2001, No Regrets for a Love Of Explosives; In a Memoir of Sorts, a War Protester Talks of Life With the Weathermen, Ayers is quoted saying,

"I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough."
Who the heck do we believe here? Bill Ayers, Marxist, terrorist, traitor, liar? Or seditious CBS News and New York Times? Or Barack Obama, Marxist Usurper-elect? Whew, this is a tough one.

We've all heard about honor among thieves. When caught they tend to rat out each other. The very unusual suspects here are all lying and within the lies is the truth. Ayers planted and set off the bomb at the Pentagon. Obama and Ayers are close working and personal friends and neighbors. The media components would do anything to scoop the other, even if it means sacrificing a good narrative for the truth.

And Friday morning Chris Cuomo interviews Bill Ayers on ABC's Good Morning America. Fifteen minutes of fame stretches along with truth, good taste, and decency.




The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

No comments: