Friday, September 19, 2008

Rangel Uses 'Disabled' to Belittle and Dismiss - Like 'Nigger'

Photo: Rangel during CBS interview

Charles Rangel, (Liberal-D) Manhattan U.S. Congressman, tried to belittle, disparage, depreciate, discount, minimize, and otherwise insult Gov. Sarah Palin in a CBS interview today (text and video).

The Liberal Democrat said that Sarah Palin is disabled and
"Ya got to be kind to the disabled."
She will not be touched by the ham-fisted wielding of the word "disabled".

But, I AM INSULTED, MR. RANGEL!

I am insulted because I am disabled. I am a cripple, one of millions in this nation and around the world. To use "disabled" to diminish Mrs. Palin is to diminish me and those millions. "Disabled" should not be used to put down anyone anymore than "nigger" should be used.

Rep. Rangel thought he would disarm Mrs. Palin by calling her "disabled." Perhaps he meant to say Sarah Palin was genetically inferior because her infant son, Trig, has Down's Syndrome. That's equally loathsome. But he has only angered millions of disabled individuals and made a fool of himself.

I am crippled, but I am not a walking insult to society. I contribute to the society, the country, the nation, and the world. Five days a week, I get out of bed, go to work, produce goods and services, and pay taxes. Millions of other disabled, crippled, and challenged people do the same. Everyday.

Everyday, we get up to be stared at, pointed at, to hear the rude whispered comments, and the crude comments not whispered, to be treated as objects of curiosity. And then there's the incessant acts of kindness.

We are too often passed over for many work assignments (if we're lucky enough to have jobs), denied promotions and pay increases, restricted from many jobs and careers, overlooked as life partners and mates. When we stand our ground as people of dignity against the slings and arrows, we're said to be rude, arrogant, demanding, ill-mannered, ungrateful... we don't know our place. In short, uppity.

Charles Rangel said Sarah Palin was "disabled" in a manner denoting pity. The pity itself is dismissive. It means that I am not like normal people. And let's not kid ourselves, we all know what normal is. Mr Rangel spoke in a disrespectful manner reserved for anyone or anything thought to be beneath us, those held in contempt. His words said disabled people are beneath him, worthy only of contempt and easily dismissed.

Disabled people are not beneath anyone. Least of all, Charles Rangel, (D-Manhattan) U.S. Representative.

We are not three-fifths of a person and two-fifths beast. We are not house niggers to be recognized only when drinks need to be served. We are not cockroaches to be sprayed with Zyklon-B. We are not animals or pets to be put to sleep. We are not things to be ignored or thrown in the trash. We are not an insult to be used to denigrate others. We are human beings to be addressed with respect and dignity as any other person expects to be addressed.

It pains me to print Rangel's words here, but everyone needs to know the bigot that is Rep Charles Rangel, D-Manhattan (breitbart.tv):
NEW YORK (CBS) ― Already under fire for his tax troubles, Manhattan Congressman Charles Rangel really put his foot in his mouth on Friday.

In a CBS 2 HD exclusive interview, Rep. Rangel called Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin "disabled."

The question was simple: Why are the Democrats so afraid of Palin and her popularity?

The answer was astonishing.

"You got to be kind to the disabled," Rangel said.

That's right. The chairman of the powerful House Ways & Means Committee called Palin disabled -- even when CBS 2 HD called him on it.

CBS 2 HD: "You got to be kind to the disabled?"

Rangel: "Yes."

CBS 2 HD: "She's disabled?"

Rangel: "There's no question about it politically. It's a nightmare to think that a person's foreign policy is based on their ability to look at Russia from where they live.

Republicans think Rangel's comments are insulting as well as shocking.

"Charlie Rangel's comments are clearly disgraceful," Rep. Peter King, R-Long Island, said. "This is just another liberal Democrat who can't accept an independent woman running for president."

King, who is co-chair of the McCain-Palin campaign in New York, watched Rangel's comments with CBS 2 HD. He was particularly upset because Palin's 4-month-old son, Trig, is disabled. He has Down's syndrome.

"We should be sensitive to her or any woman who has a child or family member who has any affliction at all," King said. "And so to use the word disabled in the context of a female candidate for vice president who has a child who is disabled really is wrong. Charlie owes her and the entire disabled community an apology."

Advocates for the disabled are also upset.

"It makes me feel as if he's trying to put her down, trying to say she's not good for the presidency or the vice presidency," said Michael Imperiale of Disabled In Action Of Metropolitan N.Y.

"A disabled president ran this country. He was disabled. His name was Roosevelt."
...And John Kennedy, George Washington, Dwight Eisenhower, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland, Woodrow Wilson, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton. All were disabled in some way or other with bone, nerve, and muscle injuries, depression, hearing loss, combat wounds, but they all served their terms, the nation and all were contributing members of society endowed by their Creator with dignity.

Stupid, Mr. Rangel is not a disability, but you are sorely afflicted with a serious case.

Now for tonight's entertainment. A short scene from the 1980 movie about John Merrick... The Elephant Man.






The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

9 comments:

Mike's America said...

In Charlie Rangel's warped mind Palin and ALL conservatives are disabled.

He just cannot understand that there are millions and millions of Americans who view political issues differently than he does.

Meanwhile, he's the chairman of the House Commiteee that writes our tax laws and claimed he didn't know he had to report rental income on his Villa in the Carribean?

He's a disgrace!

Tom said...

Indigo, it is truly a disgrace that Rangel is a Representative in Congress. He plays the racist card whenever he wants, but cannot see past the end of his nose. Perhaps he was making a joke to make a point, but it was an extremely poor one and only proves that he is an idiot.

And let us not forget politicians like Bob Dole, John McCain, and Daniel Inouye, who served in the Congress despite grievous injuries sustained in the service of their country.

Excellent post.

Anonymous said...

To refer to someone like you who has opened my eyes to so many things, as disabled, is laughable. You may have some physical difficulties but you will never be disabled in my mind. Don

Gayle said...

Indigo, you are not disabled in my eyes either. Of course I can't see you, but it makes no difference. I have worked with many people who were severely disabled. It seemed to me that they worked harder and accomplished more than people with no disabilities. It's sort of like many women like me. We always have to work harder to prove ourselves, or at least that's the way it was when I was in the work force.

Regarding your post, the person who is disabled here is Charles Rangel. He has a seriously disabled brain. If I had to be "disabled" I would truly prefer to be "disabled" bodily than to have my brain disfunctional. This man needs a psychiatrist!

Everyone should think Rangel's comments are insulting and shocking. But no one should be surprised by his comments because Rangel has had a disabled mind for a long time!

Another point I would like to make. I think the term "disabled" is an insult in and of itself. It says that if you don't have a perfectly functional body you are less than people who do and I don't believe that's true. It can actually make you more than people whose bodies are in perfect working order. You have to try harder to accomplish some tasks others don't even have to give any thought to. No... the term "disabled" is insulting to everyone.

I wonder when the human race will grow up!

Gayle said...

I wonder what has happened to blogger commenting by google? Every time I comment on a comment section handled by blogger I have to reacreate my google account. Something is haywire!

Gayle said...

You can disregard my last comment. I think I've figured out the problem.

Gayle said...

I've also fixed the link on my post that links to this post, Indigo. Thanks for letting me know it wasn't working. I've had a lot of fixing to do today.

When I first got up Blogger informed me that I didn't have a blog!!!! Well, all's well that ends well. :)

Always On Watch said...

A stroke of genius to end this post with that film clip. I didn't need to watch it as I've seen the film several times.

My husband is disabled. My closest cousin in disabled. My mother was disabled.

And Rangel is an ass.

Indigo Red said...

Thank you, all. Your comments have been very kind.

I'm afraid, however, this incident will pass very quickly and be forgotten faster than it was noticed. Charles Rangel will remain Chairman of the House Way and Means Committee and will forever remain an ass.