Thursday, July 17, 2008

CBS, MSM, USO, and Paulette Nelson

She was at the airport or military airfield when they left and she is there when they return. Before 9/11, she didn't give the soldiers or their mission a second thought, they lived all around her, but they were just there. 9/11 changed the life of Paulette Nelson.

The CBS Morning Show put a spotlight on Paulette Nelson July 16. That's right a big bad MSM CBS honoring the stay-at-home-mom who volunteers with the USO to make sure someone is there when our fighting men and women deploy to the war zones of Iraq and Afghanistan and when they come home. She meets them with applause, a handshake, or a hug and always with a smile.

She started in 2004, and 400 flights later, she is as dedicated as ever. She told CBS, "I'm there when they leave and I'm there when they come back I call that, completing the circle... People ask me, 'How do you do this? You don't get paid and it takes away your time?' And all I can say is, 'How can you not do it? How can you really just let them go over there and do what they do and not support them?' " See the big bad CBS segment at YouTube.

Paulette wrote letter to Tony Diana Music August 12, 2005. She explained how she got involved after 9/11.

Hey, my name is Paulette Nelson. I would like to introduce you to my children William 9 and Madison 7. We live in Savannah, Ga. We live smack dab in the middle of two Army posts. So we are lucky enough to share our city with a large military population.

September 11th had a profound effect on my life. It was such a huge eye opener for me, as I'm sure it was for many people. You see, I've lived in Savannah my whole life. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I never really gave the military here much thought. Never thought about what they did or what they meant. September 11th changed that. In the days and weeks following September 11th we began to see convoys on the road and much more helicopter traffic flying over our house. You could just sense that something was going to happen and soon. And it did.....our friends and neighbors began leaving their families behind. They were leaving their families to go to an unknown place to right a wrong done to this nation. They were leaving with the sorrows of a country on their shoulders. What a heavy burden that must have been. It really hit home when my son's best friend Logan's dad got called up. William began asking questions. "Where did Logan's dad go? Why did he have to leave?" I told him Logan's dad was going to find the men that crashed the planes into the building so it wouldn't happen again. That we should be very thankful to everybody who is trying to protect our country. That we should thank every soldier that we saw.

Well I think my words sank in with them. Because now if they see a person in uniform they walk up and tell them, "Thank you for protecting our country." This poster was made by Madison for her daddy to hang up at his work place. The picture in itself speaks a thousand words. We all should thank a soldier.
Paulette insists to CBS that she is no hero, "I'm an ordinary person who was given an extraordinary chance." That's what all heroes say.





The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

8 comments:

Indigo Rose said...

Thanks for this story. I spent one year sending supplies, books,and toys to a Marine friend. Now and again I'd receive a phone call from Iraq, or from his mom in Florida. I had only met him once, but never his mom. Because he was stationed out of Camp Pendleton, CA the postage for her to send packages was too expensive,so I was the second mom.
It was an emotional roller coaster; watching the news and hearing him say "not to worry, everything was fine". His momma kept in touch with me because sometimes she just needed someone to worry with... she didn't want to burden her husband. I loved her son right along with her... I worried and cried and prayed. And when he came home unharmed she gave him a hug for me.
We didn't keep in touch... he was back on U.S. soil and could talk more with his mom.
He's moved on, probably getting ready for another deployment... and I still worry, and cry and pray for him and so many others.

Gayle said...

Bless this woman for what she does and Indigo Rose for what she did! My husband, a retired Warrant Officer 3 and a 20 year career soldier, fought in Vietnam and you know the sort of welcome home our soldiers got back then. It was worse than shameful, it was criminal! Neither did the families of the military get the support they do today and I'm so glad that all of that has changed... both for the soldiers and their families. It's wonderful! :)

Trouble is, we still have the Code Pinkos and the rest of the liberal rubble who detest the military. If they ever really feel threatened and need our military to protect their ungrateful butts, they'll be the first to holler for help.

Gayle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gayle said...

That post was removed by me as somehow my comment was published twice.

Indigo Red said...

They may or not be sincere, but at least the appearance of some appreciation by Democrats and liberals is better than what they gave the VietNam Vets.

Paulette1537 said...

Hello, I'm the Paulette that you wrote about in your blog. I just wanted to say thank you. It's an honor to be able to do what I do for the troops. It is the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I'm a very lucky person for this chance. And once again, thank you for your kind words. I'm truly touched.

Indigo Red said...

Thank you so very much for what you do, Paulette. I'm certain that through your example, your children will be as generous and gracious with their time too.

Bless you.

Paulette1537 said...

I can only hope. Being a parent is the hardest job I think there is. I try to instill goodness, compassion and kindness in my children but sometimes I feel as though I'm beating my head on concrete! :)

please feel free to contact me direct. I have a blog on here but my email is nelson1537@bellsouth.net