Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bitter Gun Owner Angelina Jolie

No one can call Angelina Jolie a typical Hollywood liberal group-think follower, nor a shrinking violet. Where she once wore a small vile of Billy Bob Thornton's blood around her neck, she now wears a machine gun pendant. Her companion, Brad Pitt, had it crafted after a drawing made by her son, Maddox, as a Mother's Day gift.

Jolie has done her share of do-gooder philanthropy and has won praise from all quarters. She has been a UN goodwill ambassador and has been to many countries with the world's worst human rights violations records and some of the most dangerous places on Earth. After her visit to Iraq, she wrote an editorial in the WaPo, she wrote of her meeting with Gen. David Petraeus , that the surge was working, and for the need to stay in Iraq, "My visit left me even more deeply convinced that we not only have a moral obligation to help displaced Iraqi families, but also a serious, long-term, national security interest in ending this crisis."

Charlton Heston challenged that his gun be pried from his cold, dead hands. In another surprise reversal, it seems that Angelina Jolie has picked up that gun. In a recent interview, she revealed to the Daily Mail, she and Pitt are gun owners, keeping the weapons in their homes. "I bought original, real guns of the type we used in Tomb Raider for security. Brad and I are not against having a gun in the house, and we do have one. And yes, I'd be able to use it if I had to. I could handle myself. I think there are certain combat skills that would come out. I tend to want to throw an elbow. I don't know why. I've learned all the punches, head butts and kicks – yet getting someone with my elbow is my first instinct.

"I think it's good for anybody to learn a skill when it comes to fight training – be it kung fu, boxing or kick-boxing – because self-defence is important. Brad and I want our kids to learn it. They're going to get into a fight some day, so they might as well learn how to take care of themselves."


To drive the point home, "If anybody comes into my home and tries to hurt my kids, I've no problem shooting them."

Jolie's children are growing up knowing there is good and evil in the world and how to tell the difference. She says, "It's just not a reality in this day and age to say, 'I'm never going to let my kids watch a movie that has a gun in it.' It's important to know that this exists... But I'm very clear with my children about who's a good guy and who's bad. If they're watching a movie at home and they say, 'Is that a bad guy, Mummy?,' I say, 'Well, is he trying to hurt somebody? If you see somebody picking on a person or starting the fight, that's the bad guy.'"

Angelina Jolie may still be viewed as bit of an oddball, but I'd say her children are in damn fine care.



The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

5 comments:

Tom said...

There's still someone left in Hollywood that isn't a raving Leftest Lunatic believing that bodyguards and the police will keep them safe?

todd said...

Well Jon Voight is her dad and we all know what he did to those guys in Deliverance.

Indigo Red said...

There are more than a few non-raving types in Hollywood. They just don't work often enough to maintain their life of sanity.

Jon Voight and Jolie are sort of repairing their relationship. Probably never will have that father/daughter thing, but stuff changes when the kid becomes the parent.

Mike's America said...

You can be forgiven for this bit of Hollywood fluff considering the message... but don't make a habit of it!

Indigo Red said...

Hey, you got to use whatever messenger is handy, Mike.