Saturday, May 31, 2008

Obama Quits Circus Church

Campaigning in South Dakota today, Sen. Barack Obama resigned his 20 years membership in Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. In recent months, the pastoral messages from the pulpit have caused Obama's bid for the Presidency a great deal of trouble.

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, once described as Obama's spiritual mentor, invoked God to damn America after which Obama said the Reverend was just a crazy uncle figure from a different time, he was family that Obama would not toss out. Later, when pressed by the public controversy, Obama threw Wright to the lions. Reverend Wright then lashed out in an insane press conference tirade which shocked Obama into denouncing his spiritual advisor as "divisive and destructive."

Obama was again compelled to denounce another liberal man of the cloth, the white Catholic priest Father Michael Pfleger, long time friend of Rev. Wright and Sen. Obama, and guest preacher at Trinity Church last Sunday.


Pfleger mocked Clinton for appearing to cry days before the New Hampshire primary in January, saying she was on the verge of tears because "there is a black man stealing my show."

"She always thought, 'This is mine. I'm Bill's wife, I'm white and this is mine,' Pfleger said in the dramatic sermon, which now has 100,000 hits on YouTube.

"And then out of nowhere came him, Barack Obama. And she said: 'Damn, where did you come from? I'm white, I'm entitled, there's a black man stealing my show!'"
"She wasn't the only one crying, there was a whole lot of white people crying," said Pfleger, a white Catholic priest.

Pfleger seems to have known he'd gone too far. When he was closing his sermon, he apologized to the congregation, ''Sorry . . . don't want to get you into any more trouble.'' He later issued a statement saying, ''I regret the words I chose on Sunday. These words are inconsistent with Senator Obama's life and message, and I am deeply sorry if they offended Senator Clinton or anyone else who saw them."

I am always skeptical of apologies offered like Pfleger's. "I am deeply sorry if..." is not an apology from an understanding of wrong doing and a desire to set things right. It's a cheap attempt to avoid further trouble.

Obama, however, made it immediately clear he did not like what Pfleger had preached saying he was "deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn't reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause."

Is this the change we can believe in -- offend, deny, apologize, denounce and renounce? What kind of domestic and foreign policy is that? Certainly not a policy which anyone will long endure.

Barack Obama is, I believe, sincere in his new found outrage at discovering his close friends are divisive and destructive elements in this campaign cycle. In the 21st Century, racism and stupid comments do not play well before the You Tube unblinking eye, except to the parishioners of Trinity United Church of Christ who cannot see the mote in their own eye.



The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

5 comments:

dcat said...

I found the other church video's amusing! Just like I see obaaabaaa!


The new conservative is out at costco did anyone read it? I'm not sure if I want to!

What the hell is wrong with the old conservative!?! NOT A DAMN THING!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

If Reverend Phlegm had any backbone to his beliefs, why should he offer up apologies? Why would one hold to beliefs that one felt ashamed and embarrassed by?

At least Wrighty stands by his convictions.

Indigo Red said...

Good point, Word. That's why I don't offer apologies. If I said it, I must have meant it at the time while retaining the right to change my opinion on the subject.

Father Phlegm is an actor on a stage. I'm sure if his audience were Hispanic or Asian, his opinions would mold to that dynamic.

Gayle said...

Indigo, the sermon is absolutely the most important part of the service, at least to the Pastor, Reverend, Priest, Bishop, or whoever is giving it. Even in my little church where on a good day 35 or 40 people attend, our pastor spends hours preparing his sermon. So we know that Pfleger spent a lot of time on this rant (one can hardly call it a sermon) and meant every word of it. The man is a dispicable liar and is in no way shape or form a man of God, and I feel that both Wright and Phlem (great nickname for him, Wordsmith!) echo Obama's true sentiments.

Indigo Red said...

I have heard many fine sermons in my time, Gayle. Sometimes the Pastor has included in the sermon how difficult and time consumming a particular sermon was. The men and women who speak from the pulpit may only have a Sunday face for most people, but they work hard 24/7/365+1. They most certainly do not just knock off a sermon like blog post. These men and women actually think about it.