Thursday, May 29, 2008

Battle of Adobe Walls, Afghanistan

U.S. Marine Sgt. William O. Bee, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment of the 24th MEU, came under heavy fire in a firefight May 18, 2008 with Taliban fighters near Gamser, Helmond Province, Afghanistan. Bee and fellow Marines are shown in a dramatic series of photographs taken by a Reuters photographer and published by Fox News.

Bobbie and Sgt. William O. Bee on their wedding day, April 1, 2006.
Bobbie Bee, pregnant with their first child, said she immediately knew the Marine in the gunfight with Taliban depicted in the photos was her husband. Shown firing from behind a mud wall, Sgt Bee is without his helmet and vest.
He is OK.
That was little consolation to Bobbie Bee who told FoxNews three days later, "I'm over seven months pregnant, so I thought I was going to go into labor... I knew automatically it was him... I wouldn't believe anybody saying he was OK until I actually spoke with him."
He explained to his wife in a phone call that he was changing into fresh clothes when they were attacked. She told Fox, "He said he turned around and did what he had to do."
It's what Marines do.



The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

8 comments:

Gayle said...

Indeed it is what Marines do, Indigo. Thanks for posting this! I'm so glad he's okay, but not half as glad as his beloved wife, I'm sure. God bless them both.

Indigo Red said...

He is one very lucky Marine. Billy and Bobbie Bee are fortunate the Taliban are 'spray and pray' shooters.

Good thing Billy Bee didn't get stung and was able to buzz Bobbie Bee so soon after the Taliban stirred the hornets nest.

dcat said...

What a great story!

Oh and yeah the thugs don't care what you are doing infact they wait for that situation to take advantage!!!

We need to start fighting dirty too!

My heart when I saw the first three photos...oh no... You want me to have a strok don't you Indigo! Glad he is OK!!!

Mike's America said...

Did he get the bad guys?

Indigo Red said...

I, too, would like our guys to fight dirty, dcat. However, when they have, the propaganda opportunities for the bad guys increases exponentially. In the end, it's not worth the costs for the US to fight dirty.

You know, Mike, there was nothing said about bad guy casualties. If all went like like previous engagements, I'm guessing the Taliban lost several dead and wounded.

dcat said...

...and I hope that the wonded AQ's get gangrene and die a slow horrible death then!!!

Indigo it seems no matter what the troops do they get a bad rap from the f-ing liberal news media!!! ERRRRRRRR!!!

Indigo Red said...

Okay, now I can get behind gangrene and horrible death, dcat.

John said...

Well it's interesting to see the young Marines are still continuing the tradition. I was in Alpha 1/6 back in 1968. However, my combat was with Gulf 2/9 from Dec 28, 1966 thru Jan 3, 1968. Yes I'm a survivor Operation Kingfisher call sign was 33 Shadow 3rd squad 3rd platoon. I'm a old man now but we Marines never loose the "Attitude".