Saturday, April 05, 2008

Epic Life of Charlton Heston - The End

Charlton Heston died today with his wife, Lydia at his side.

Heston was a world renowned Hollywood old school actor working with the best directors like DeMille in "The Greatest Show on Earth" and again in "The Ten Commandments," Welles in "Touch of Evil," Sam Peckinpah in "Major Dundee," William Wyler in "The Big Country" and "Ben-Hur," George Stevens in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," Franklin Schaffner in "The War Lord" and "Planet of the Apes" and Anthony Mann in "El Cid."

He was also a best-selling author, a controversial Hollywood labor leader, a life long gun advocate and one time president of the National Rifle Association. For his Hollywood heresy as a gun rights advocate, Heston endured much criticism. In answer to his critics, reprising his scene as Moses parting the Red Sea, Heston raised a flintlock musket over his head and in his deep baritone voice dared them to to pry the rifle "from my cold, dead hands."

The Heston family issued the following statement:

"To his loving friends, colleagues and fans, we appreciate your heartfelt prayers and support. Charlton Heston was seen by the world as larger than life. He was known for his chiseled jaw, broad shoulders and resonating voice, and, of course, for the roles he played. Indeed, he committed himself to every role with passion, and pursued every cause with unmatched enthusiasm and integrity.

We knew him as an adoring husband, a kind and devoted father, and a gentle grandfather, with an infectious sense of humor. He served these far greater roles with tremendous faith, courage and dignity. He loved deeply, and he was deeply loved.

No one could ask for a fuller life than his. No man could have given more to his family, to his profession, and to his country. In his own words, "I have lived such a wonderful life! I've lived enough for two people."





The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

6 comments:

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Great post, Indigo!

May he rest in peace.

Tom said...

Thanks, Indigo. Just heard the news about 1/2 hour ago on CNN International.

Indigo Rose said...

Just last week Richard Widmark died. Age isn't always something I brag about, but I must say, I'm glad I'm old enough to say I watched and enjoyed these actors. They brought something to the big screen that is missng so often with todays pretty boys.

dcat said...

Indigo,

Thank you! What a wonderful person and may he rest in peace!

Marie's Two Cents said...

Great Post Indigo :-)

I have been looking for that picture of Heston as Moses and I saw your's and I stole it :-)

Indigo Red said...

I'm sure Chuck Heston is at peace.

I was loggoing off Saturday night just an hour or so after his death was announced when I saw the headline. What a shock, but not unexpected as I had just posted about his failing condition a week before. I stayed up another hour gathering and posting.

Richard Widmark was one of my favorite actors. "Judgement at Nuremburg" and "A gathering of Old Men" are two films that had an affect on me.

You are certainly welcome to any images I have. The photo of the gun in the skeletal hand I've been keeping just for this post since Heston announced his illness.

You know, we can name the most famous films in the Heston catalog, but one of his best roles and performances was in the 1968 film "Will Penny." It's been overlooked because "Planet of the Apes" was released the same year. If you can find a dvd of "Will Penny", take the time and see it.