Monday, April 14, 2008

California to have Earthquake Somewhere Sometime in Next 30 Years - Maybe


NEWS FLASH! This just in 29 minutes ago: sometime in the next 30 years, a 6.7 or greater magnitude earthquake will hit somewhere in California. It's almost certain, think the experts at U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena.

California faces an almost certain risk of being rocked by a strong earthquake by 2037, scientists said Monday in the first statewide temblor forecast.

New calculations reveal there is a 99.7 percent chance a magnitude 6.7 quake or larger will strike in the next 30 years. The odds of such an event are higher in Southern California than Northern California, 97 percent versus 93 percent.

The last time a jolt this size rattled California was the 1994 Northridge disaster, which killed 72 people, injured more than 9,000 and caused $25 billion in damage.

"It basically guarantees it's going to happen," said Ned Field, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena and lead author of the report.
Jeez! I guess that's why the experts get paid the really big bucks and I don't. As a simple resident of California working as a clerk for an electronics manufacturing company, I would never have thought California might possibly have an earthquake somewhere sometime in the next 30 years. I'm headed for the hills or somewhere ... when I get around to it sometime.



The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having lived in Ca since 1960 I know it is not a question of if but when and where. You can see the stats on 6.5 and up here and more links here. Driving across the Bay bridge for the first time back around 82 I said to myself, I wouldn’t want to be here during an earthquake. Then I put the pedal to the metal all the way across.

Gayle said...

There are risks no matter where you live. On the West Coast it's earthquakes. On the East Coast and Gulf Coast it's hurricanes. Where I live it's tornadoes. No place is 100% safe, so we do our best to prepare and go on with the events of everyday life.

Anonymous said...

I have known a number of people who are scared to death of earthquakes. I once dated a girl from Georgia who eventually went back, she was one of those that earthquakes really terrify. I never could under stand that, my grandparents live in Kansas I have family in Florida and Mississippi and I will take earthquakes over hurricanes or tornado's. They, earthquakes, are here and gone for most people, one minute nothing the next minute you are rumbling and then back to nothing again. The thing that is different is there is no warning no time to prepare or seek safety. So it is important to be prepared and to know that brick buildings are likely to have damage or come down, overpasses and bridges are also a bad place to be. No there is no reason to go around worrying but it is important to be aware of the hazards. Actually I would be more concerned with a potential tsunami than the earthquake itself and I have been in dozens of earthquakes but so far no tsunamis, knock on wood.

Indigo Red said...

Me, too, Anonymous. I live just a bare 10 miles from the beach and a tsunami here on the Orange County ocean front, the size of the Indonesia waves would easily inundate my home. The earthquake would only cause structual damage, but nothing like what a tidal wave could do.

The world is not a safe place.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from OC. You are right especially if you live in the flatter northern part of the county or in the coastal canyons and lowlands.