Sunday, March 02, 2008

What Happens When Cute, Cuddly Polar Bears Grow Up?


Remember Knut? The cute little white puff ball of a Polar Bear at the Berlin Zoo who captivated the hearts and minds of normally sane people like Mike at Mike's America here, here, and here ... sure, now you remember.


Mike likes cute Polar Bears and Knut is grown-up so he now has another cute cub, Wilber, with which to plaster his blog. Don't get me wrong, Knut and Wilber are two of the cutest critters on God's green acre and are very photogenic. And Mike's America is indeed one of the finest blogs going.

But, what happens when a Polar Bear grows up and stops being cute as a button? Will Mike tell you what happens? I don't know. All I know is that I haven't seen anything but photos of another cute as a button Polar Bear cub.

Well, I'll tell you with a little help from the Daily Mail.
Knut now weighs 22 stone and has six-inch claws and a fearsome set of fangs to match.

And he seemed to be particularly keen to test them on the three-year-old boy lying on the ground next to his enclosure.


Not so cute anymore, is he? And that's what will happen with Wilber, too. Sure, they're nice and cuddly cute to start and just when you're all comfortable with the puff balls, they turn and rip your face off!

Mother Nature is not nice.




The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

7 comments:

Indigo Rose said...

Gee, I know a couple cuddly children who have grown up to act the same way... but when I tried to put them in an enclosure it was inhumane! And their enclosure wasn't filled with water. :-)

There are a lot of stories out there of captive (but loving) beasts who have turned on their trainers. Amazingly, those who survive always say the animal didn't mean it... it was just trying to play.

Tom C said...

I believe those kids like the beasts grow up to be democrats. Yep they will rip your face off.

Indigo Red said...

When I was a kid, my Aunt E. put us kids in a small animal cage and took pctures of us. Damn that was fun!

Today, Auntie would be arrested and charged with child abuse.

We had a dog, Mitch, a Black Lab mix, who loved everybody except the kid across the street. Mitch bit that kid once because the kid was the only one to throw rocks at him.

Today, Mitch would be taken away and destroyed. And the kid would still be throwing rocks at animals.

Sometimes it's hard to tell who the animals are.

Mike's America said...

That Knut photo looks photoshopped to me.

Marie's Two Cents said...

I Love the way that you and Mike are keeping up with Knut and the new baby :-)


They are just too cute.

Indigo Red said...

You mean, Mike, like it's not even Knut? Well, it may not be Knut. All Polar Bears look alike.

Yeah, Marie, we're just a couple of softies. But Knut should know - I have a shotgun and I'm not afraid to use it.

I think Wilber is cuter anyways.

dcat said...

Give me a break!

I will pick wild life over anyone! Ugh!

I act the same way around kids.