Monday, February 11, 2008

Finkbeiner Invites Marines Back, But...

Carty Finkbeiner, Toledo mayor (DEMOCRAT), had the following e-mail sent to the 1-24 Marines with instrsuctions that it be included in all press releases concerning his moronic decision to boot the Corps from his town. The good mayor begins by counting the ways he loves the Marines, mostly involving parades and pancake breakfasts.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sperr, Barbara
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 5:39 PM
To: [a bunch of .mil addresses]
Subject: USMC

February 11, 2008

Gentlemen:

My respect and admiration for the U.S. Marine Corp., as well as the U.S. Military, is second to no other citizen's. Over the years, I have always been supportive of our military services, including active participation in Memorial Day services, special military events, and a variety of community programs supporting the armed services.

In my recent conversations with Major Jeffrey Brooks, Weapons Company, Perrysburg, Ohio and Lt. Col Francis Piccoli, Director of Public Affairs Marine Force Reserve, New Orleans, I have stated my regret that there was a communication breakdown between the U.S. Marine Corp. and my office. I accept full responsibility for that breakdown. I have further stated my desire to have the U.S. Marine Corp. conduct training exercises in the City of Toledo, wherever appropriate, with the probable exception of the Central Business District.

Please accept this as a formal invitation, on behalf of the City of Toledo, to make arrangements through my office at 419-245-1001. I will then assign the appropriate people on my staff to work with the Marine Corp. staff to accommodate the needs of our community and yet meet any requirements you may have.

I look forward to working with your organization to maintain your status as the nation's premiere force in readiness. If in the interim I can provide any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call me or my Chief of Staff, Mr. Robert R. Reinbolt, for assistance.


From Toledo -
an International Award Winning City!

Carty Finkbeiner
Mayor
I like the part in which the mayor invites the Marines back to Toledo to train wherever they need, except in the downtown business area buildings where they actually want to train. Just call the mayors office, he says, to set up the place and time for training - oops, when the Marine Major tried to contact the mayor when the unit was kicked out, the mayor was in a meeting of galactic import and couldn't be disturbed/bothered - he will assign people to control everything. Yeah, anything for the Corps - Sempre Fi, Mac.

"I believe I made the right decision. I would do it again this Friday if I had to do that," Finkbeiner said. And Finkbeiner made it clear the anyone who questioned his patriotism is a "baboon". A regular Nathan Hale, Finkbeiner is - 'I only regret that I have but one country to lose in my life.'

Negative reactions to the mayor's decision poured in from all over the country. As with Berkeley, many folks called for withholding Federal funds from Toledo, while some said to recall the mayor. Some went so far as to call for a boycott of Toledo. I'm sorry, but neither Berkeley nor Toledo are real high on my bucket list.

This whole affair will be expensive for Finkbeiner, Toledo, and the Marines. The cost to the mayor and Toledo are yet to be determined. The preliminary loss to the Marine Reserves is aywhere from $10,000 to $16,000.


SOURCE:
Thurber's Thoughts
WNWO NBC24
WNWO NBC24






The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

No comments: