Friday, March 02, 2007

What's In Your Accent?

This is really eerie. I remember watching Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes determine a suspect's place of origin and profession by just listening to a few spoken words. I didn't have to say a damned thing and this machine nailed me.


What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
The West
Boston
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


My family is from Michigan. I was born there, but we moved to California when I was two. My father's parents were from Hungary and the south of England. My mother's family has been in America for a very long time. Her father always thought he was being funny when he'd announce he'd married a Black girl. And it was true; Black was her family name. Her cousin, and my second cousin, Hugo Black, went on to sit on the Supreme Court of the United States.

(H/T to Bernie at Planck's Constant for pointing to the Accent Quiz.)


The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

4 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

I tested as InlandNorth also. Even though I have been in Idaho going on 30 years. What's interesting is that when I open my mouth, people invariably ask, "Oh are you from Wisconsin?"..maybe
we are what we talk!

bernie said...

In 1951 in New York City my father saw a man walking in front of us and said, "See that man there? He's a shoemaker from Poland." Seeing only the man's back my mother said, "prove it."

We caught up to the man and my father asked him if he was a shoemaker from Poland. The man looked amazed. "Yes, but how do you know? Are we acquainted?"

My father explained that from the back he had the hairstyle of a Pole and that he walked slightly bowlegged indicating he worked at a profession requiring one to sit in a bow-legged position for many hours a day, which, in the early part of the last century was how shoe-repair persons worked.

Over the years he continued to show me how to guess the nationalities of people on the street. Thankfully we lived in one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world so we always had lots of samples to look at.

I'm particularly good at spotting Egyptians, Iranians, Poles, and Uzbeks.

This small talent has led me to observe that the majority of waitresses in SOHO in New York City are Polish.

Indigo Red said...

Uzbeks huh? I bet that comes in real handy! I love your stories, Bernie. It's no wonder American entertainment is so Jewish.

Indigo Rose said...

Red, I took the test and it says I'm from The Midlands - another way of saying "you have no accent" . It listed Penn., S. Ohio, S. Indiana, S. Illinois and Missouri.
Brother, as you well know, I am a born Californian raised by parents from Michigan.
I just returned from Wisconsin and you should hear me now, don'tcha know.