Friday, September 15, 2006

Andy


He would have been 26 years old this month. We didn't have a chance to meet. Andy didn't have a chance to meet many people beyond his Dad and Mom (my sister), who loved him more than anything. He met some nurses who were very kind, but ultimately, couldn't help. After some very long agonizing days and nights, Andy's parents let him go.

I got a Mickey Mouse baby fork and 2 spoon set for Andy before he was born. I never mailed the gift, and never told anyone because it was too hard. So, I kept the set. Through several address changes, there is only one spoon left. It is at my desk at work to stir my coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.

I never met Andy. Twice a day, five days a week, I share a moment with my nephew who didn't have a chance to have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Andy didn't have a chance to experience much, but he has had an effect on many lives for 26 years and will for many years to come.



The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

3 comments:

atheling2 said...

He's at peace, Red.

Don said...

Indi there really is no other blogger quite like you.

Indigo Rose said...

Dear Brother,
You will never realize just how much this means to us. We've grieved for 26 years. Two other births did not, and will not, ever replace the son we lost, the memories never made, the child never held.
I have a birthday card the nurses made for me. It has Andy's picture on it. I look at the card, hold the card and make my wishes. When I was 21 my only wish was that Andy not suffer anymore.
Thank you for sharing your heart with us. We do not feel so alone.