Saturday, November 12, 2005

What Do You Eat?




The Dongs
Beijing, China
One week's food cost: 1,233.76 yuan/$155.06 USD















The Melanders
Bargteheide, Germany
One week's food cost: 375.39 euros/$500.07





The Revises
North Carolina, USA
One week's food cost: $341.98













The Aboubakars
Breidjing Refugee Camp, Chad
One week's food cost: 685 CFA francs/$1.23
Market value if purchased locally: $24.37


Photographer Peter Menzel and writer Faith D'Aluisio have created a new book, Hungry Planet: What the World Eats, asking how increased affluence, migration, and globalization have influenced the eating habits of families around the world. Menzel photographs several families each with a weeks worth of groceries common to their regions. D'Aluisio interviews the families, records their food shopping habits along with a detailed list of all the food and total cost.



The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

3 comments:

Don said...

It is so easy to forget how easy our life is compared to many others. We don't tend to spend much time being grateful.

Tom C said...

I am going back to my garden this spring. I wonder how much I can grow?

dcat said...

When I was in Jamaica I traveled outside of the resort to see the people and buy from them instead of the posh gift shop at the resort. They were happy to get my business and I didn’t mind just giving them money either when they asked for it. The guy diving off the tree got a ten from me. Yes I know we have it very, very good. Thanks for the reminder Indigo.