Thursday, June 09, 2005

Road Trips and Sharp Sticks

While driving past Camp Pendleton, California recently, I saw acre after acre of sticks planted in the furrowed fields. "What the heck are those?" I wondered to myself because I was alone in my car on my road trip. Then I saw some larger, stouter sticks. And I wondered, "What the heck are those?"

My father was a farmer. My mother was a gardener. I have a thumb of Lincoln green. But, these sticks really had me stumped.

There were two American warships on the Pacific horizon. Two rooster tails were speeding their way toward the white sand. I pulled into the rest stop to watch the Marine Corps hovercrafts hit the beach. The exercise was part of the preparations for the invasion of California to reclaim the state from Mexico. The landings were beautiful and awe inspiring.

(What the heck are those?)

In that moment of reverie, it hit me. It's a sharp stick farm! This is where the sharp sticks we would rather have stuck in our eye come from. The larger sticks were obviously the 10 foot poles with which we wouldn't touch 'it' or 'that'.

Mystery solved, I drove another 40 miles to the town of Julian, ate a slice of apple pie that couldn't be beat and drove home. My tummy, curiosity, and day filled to the max. Wow, what a day!

The life of Indigo Red is full of adventure. Tune in next time for the Further Adventures of Indigo Red.

No comments: